Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Field Trip

So our day got off to a bad start. Well, mine did. In my pea-pickin' head I thought I was to be at school at 9:30 a.m. because the caravan was to leave at 9:45. I was off by an hour! No matter, NM had a ride down there, so I high-tailed it out of the house after rushing to pack for the baby. In so doing, I almost forgot to bring baby some formula. Tsk!

The drive was long, and I didn't realize just how long. Bates Nut Farm was about an hour and 20 minutes to get to. J was hollering in the back seat because he had pulled the car seat cover over himself and it was on his lap, plus he threw his pacifier somewhere. He couldnt' sleep! I finally thought to sing "Jesus Loves Me" which I normally do for him at bedtime and that worked. The drive was so nice: the view wasn't what most people associate with So Cali. There were stands of oaks on either side of a windy road, behind them old homes with some land and the occassional farm. Yes, Typical So Cal reared its head in the form of a housing development of huge homes taking up most of their lots surrounding a brand new golf course.

Bates Nut Farm was fun. First the kids picked out pumpkins, then they ran through a maze made of bales of straw. At different hidden areas they had mailboxes with stamps that they used to mark a card they were carrying. Myself and 2 other moms were in charge of 5 rambuncious kids who would run off in random directions--the stuff of nightmares! Thankfully, no one got lost, not really. They did a tractor ride which they thought was the best thing in the world. I love how kids are not jaded. This thing was rigged with about 10 trailers with 3 straw bales each, enough to carry maybe 8 people. It goes around a large field of corn and pumpkin patches, nothing really big, but to the kids it was like Disneyland only better because they were with each other.

Lunch was interesting--we had not realized NM didn't have his backpack, so I bought him a burger and myself a hotdog with grilled onions. Remind me not to do the onions next time. Ouch. I didn't even go into their store because I knew I was succeptible to impulse buying at places like that. They know it, too.

After petting and feeding the goats and sheep (cute!!!), we packed up and headed out. The drive home was uneventful except for the fact that NM fell asleep maybe 2 minutes before we pulled up to the house :D He didn't want to go home and kept finding excuses for me to drop him off at school instead of home. That means he had a great time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home